Friday, November 18, 2011

The Challenge of Following

A day without hearing from God is to my soul like a day without food and water to my body. Today's conversation is taking me back to the last chapter of John to focus a little more on Jesus' words to Peter. Let's re-read John 21:15-25 and drink it in.

The thing that is jumping out at me today is Jesus' twice-made challenge:

"You must follow me!" (v. 22, also 19)

It's not a suggestion or even an invitation at this point. It's more of a demand. Jesus is saying to me, "Do you want a real relationship with me? Here's how it works. I lead and you follow. Period. There's no negotiating. This isn't up for discussion. If you really love me (which he asks Peter three times), you will give me your whole heart and follow my lead. After all, we're not equals. You have to trust me."

That sometimes seems so simple, and I am all in. But then there is this whole deal with my expectations and the comparisons I make. I generally expect that since I'm following Jesus, he's going to lead me by the green pastures and still waters. Okay, I realize that he's not exempting me from hitting some rough terrain now and then. That's part of the challenge of growing stronger. But I don't expect the worst to happen. That just doesn't seem like what he would want for me.

But he says this to Peter:

"...when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." (v. 18)

And John explains:

Jesus said this to indiicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. (v. 19)

The fact is that some of us will be called to glorify God that way, too. My wife, Cathy, was. And it's not just in physical death. It might be that God calls us to bring him glory through another kind of major loss. When the worst happens, it doesn't necessarily mean that God has turned against me. It may be just the opposite. But when you're that person, it's not easy looking around at other disciples who seem to have all the favor of God resting on them.

And that's just what Peter did. He turns and looks at John. Everyone knew he was Jesus' favorite.

When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" (v. 21)

I can feel what Peter felt. Am I the only one that's going to have to suffer? You're telling me I'm going to have to follow you through heartache and loss. What about the other guy? What about the pastor at the big church down the road? What about the other women in my ladies Bible study? They're not going to get off easy while I get beaten like a rented mule, are they? For me, it's not that I want others to suffer loss. It's just that I don't understand why it's me that takes the hit. What did I do to deserve that? Do you love the other guy more than me, Jesus? If you haven't ever felt that way, you've probably not suffered very much in the course of serving God. Nothing will shred my joy like getting caught up making comparisons. I can't go there. I need to hear Jesus words to Peter like they were said to me:

"If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." (v. 22)

This thing called discipleship doesn't lend itself to my expectations and comparisons. It's about me letting go of my life and putting it in Jesus' hands knowing that it belongs to him anyway. It's about following him regardless, wherever, no reservations, no demands. Why would I do that? Because regardless of whether my path is easy or harder than a woodpecker's head, it's going to lead to Life. And I can't get there any other way.

Share your thoughts, will you? Comment and share this post with your Facebook friends. Click on the square button with the "f" on it. I look forward to hearing from you!

1 comment:

  1. Chris, this is right on!!! Thank you so much for you open expressions of your own feelings and thoughts! Yes, sometimes it seems that way -- and sometimes I do ask God, " Why?" but then I realize almost right away that it is a question that I should not ask. As my dear Kees said, when people asked him if he was not mad at God for letting his cancer continue: "The question I ask myself is, 'Why NOT ME?'" God's ways and thoughts are not mine, and green pastures are still to come in that beautiful home for the soul that Jesus is preparing for us. Keep writing and sharing with us. I love it!
    K.B.

    ReplyDelete