Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I'm the Worst

It's high time for a word from God today! Let's take in a sweet, refreshing drink from his holy Scriptures, 1 Timothy 1:12-17. Remember as you read, this is the Apostle Paul writing under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. What strikes you about him? about his attitude? Does this sound like one of the all time greatest Christ-followers?

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst. (v. 15)

Jesus said it himself. He didn't come for those who already have it all together and think they don't need God's mercy. He came for sinners--sinners like Paul. And me. He came to save us from the guilt, condemnation and power of the sin that had us trapped. It was a rescue mission from across time and space penetrating the veil between the spiritual and physical dimensions. Pretty cool, huh?

Let's see, if St. Paul was "the worst of sinners," where does that leave me? Sure, I never persecuted or executed Christians, but at least he did what he did out of the conviction that he was doing the right thing. He thought he was doing what God wanted him to do. I can't say that about the sins I've committed. I'm afraid my motives were something far less than defending God's truth against "heresy." How about you?

I'm thankful that Paul opens up this little window into his heart for us. He lets us see his self-image. There's no holier-than-thou condemning spirit about this amazing apostle. He is so convicted about his own sin, his own past, that he doesn't have any pretense of being better than his pagan peers. Yet he isn't consumed with guilt. He's thankful beyond belief for God's grace! And he's all about offering it to the rest of us.

Father, I know that I am, like Paul, someone that you pulled out of the grips of sin, setting me free by your grace. I am so thankful for that! To borrow a line from Titanic, you have saved me in every sense that a person can be saved. I celebrate your grace! May I never think myself above or better than others who have yet to break free. And may they see the power of your grace in my life and the way that I treat them so that they can experience its saving power, too. Amen!

Please share your thoughts! Comment below. And please give this blog a boost on your Facebook page by clicking the Facebook "f" icon below. I appreciate it! And have a happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment