Thursday, November 17, 2011

Divine Guidance

Spiritually hungry? Feeling confused? Frustrated? Today, while praying, Jesus spoke a word to my heart, reminding me of something he once said to another follower long ago: "You are worried and troubled about so many things. But only one thing is needed." I realized that the one thing is to sit at his feet and listen to him. When I don't do that, my mind gets so confused and distracted and my stress level goes up. Fears creep in. So I'm focusing on doing the one thing I need most.

Today, we're taking in his final conversation recorded in John's account (chapter 21). Do the one thing that you most need to do, too. Turn off the distractions and read along with me.

"I'm going out to fish," Simon Peter told them. (v. 3)

I can really relate to Peter in this moment. Although he knows that Jesus is risen, he still doesn't know what to do next. Jesus has briefly appeared a couple of times, but he seems to have basically made his exit from their everyday lives. The whole discipleship/ ministry thing seems to be over. For over two weeks, they've been sitting around in a locked room waiting for something, some direction. And it hasn't come.

So Peter makes a decision. He's not the kind of guy who sits around being passive. He's a man of action. He's received no direction from Jesus so he sets his own. He apparently aims to return to his previous profession, fishing. I imagine that he figures he's got to do something, and the only thing he knows to do is go back into the workforce. But it doesn't go so well.

So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing. (v. 3)

John is so cool. He always sees the spritual symbolism in events. He points out that it was night. Peter is out there in the dark, drifting directionless and coming up empty-handed. And that's what happens when I try to make my own life plans without listening for God's guidance and calling. It's not a fun place to be and it is not what I want. But something happens.

Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore.... He called out to them, "Friends, haven't you any fish?" (v. 4-5)

Oh, Jesus, you don't have to rub it in, do you? I guess we sometimes don't get it otherwise. Okay, you're right! I need your guidance. And then he gives them clear directions:

He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some." When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish. (v. 6)

So when Peter forges ahead with his own plans, he comes up empty. But once he has some clear guidance from Jesus and follows it, boom! He's fruitful and productive! That's what I need. Clear direction from Jesus. I'm desperate for it!

Then Jesus invites Peter and company to breakfast on the shore. After a weary, frustrating night in the dark, Jesus wants to bring him back from isolation in his own self-made plans to that place where he can spend focused time with Jesus and receive his true calling. And he gets it . . .

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." (v. 15)

Ah. Now Peter is getting somewhere. Now he knows what his life is really supposed to be about. Finally he has the clear direction that he previously lacked. His life of ministry wasn't over, after all. It was only just beginning. And with Jesus' help and guidance, his life would be more productive than he could imagine.

And there's the symbolic irony again. Did you notice that John points out that Jesus showed up at sunrise? With Jesus' appearing and guidance comes the dawning of a new day.  When I have confidence that I have received guidance from him and I act on it, I find myself stepping out of the darkness of confusion and frustration. The sun comes up. The way forward is clear.

But how long must I wait for it? And what should I do in the meantime? I guess I must go back to the word he already gave me:

"You are worried and troubled about so many things. But only one thing is needed. Sit at my feet and listen."

Your comments are welcome! Sign in and comment below or choose "Anonymous" in the "Comment As" field. And please consider blessing someone else you know by sharing this post on Facebook. Just click the "f" button below.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, Chris! Sitting at Jesus' feet is what is needed most and the one thing that will provide clear direction in our lives. I love the way God's Word seems to pertain to our situation when we need it most. Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete