Tuesday, May 24, 2011

No Need Unmet

I hope the sun is shining on you today! You can't see it, but God's glory is certainly shining on you! I'm listening to his Spirit's voice today in Philippians 4:14-23, as we close out this letter for now. I invite you to let God speak to you too by reading through this passage two or three times. His Word is living and active!

This is what God is impressing on my heart:

"I am amply supplied now that i have received...the gifts you sent.... And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." (v. 18-19)

Yesterday God was speaking contentment to my heart. Today he is following that up with this very comforting promise to meet all my needs. Whatever I need he will provide! Even if I had to let go of some of what he's allowed me to enjoy, I will still have what I need. That brings me peace!

One important qualification that I see on this promise is that God is making it to those who have generously given to meet the needs of others. This is a promise back to people who were offering monetary gifts to God's mission, which he describes as a "fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God." They were generous givers. They were sharing what they had to allow God's mission to carry on. And he was reassuring them, in case they were worried about what financial effect their offering might have on their future, that they too would be blessed with everything they need.

Sometimes the thought crosses my mind, as I drop my check in the offering basket each week, that I might need that money for something myself. But God has always kept his promise: we've always had our every need supplied! (Not every wish or desire though!) Because I have seen God's faithfulness throughout these many years I really have great peace about any offering I give to him. He's always out-given me!

Father, I will continue to love you with my offerings, trusting in your faithfulness to meet all my needs as I supply the needs of others. Amen.

Join the conversation! Share your comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment