Friday, March 9, 2012

Faith in Action

Happy Friday to all! Finally, the end of the week is here! I hope you all enjoy your weekend. This is Michele again today writing to you from 1 Samuel 30. Please take the time to read this thoroughly and ponder what you hear God impressing upon your heart. I'm really enjoying 1 Samuel, it's full of adventure and excitement.

In the last chapter David and his men were asked to go back to the land of the Phillistines. When they arrived at Ziklag they found that it had been completely destroyed by the Amelikites and they took all the women and children with them when they left. What an awful experience that must have been for David and his men. David's men decided that this must be his fault and turned on him. They needed someone to blame. I love David's response here, Lord!

....But David found strength in the Lord his God. (v. 6)

It gives me chills to think about this man being threatened to be stoned and he seems unshaken by the threats. God, David knew you and trusted in your ability to protect and strengthen him. He knew exactly who to turn to. Not only did David believe that you would strengthen him, he also knew that you would guide him into action. So, he immediately turned to you and asked for your guidance.

Then he said to Abiathar the priest, "Bring me the ephod!" So Abiathar brought it. Then David asked the Lord, "Should I chase after this band of raiders? Will I catch them?"
And the Lord told him, "Yes, go after them. You will surely recover everything that was taken from you!" (v. 7-8)

And, that's exactly what happened! As I continue to read, I find that David and his men were able to recover all that was taken from them just as you said they would.

This is faith in action! How many times have I turned to the wrong source when things have gone wrong. Instead of immediately turning to you, I turn to other people or just simply worry. Nothing is impossible with you and you will show me what steps need to be taken, if any. If I truly lay my concerns at your feet and trust in your goodness and love for me, I will always come out victorious. That means giving up my control in all situations and, like David, give it to you, Lord. In your hands is the best place for my fears. In your hands is the best place for the situations that are way too big for me to handle alone. In your hands is the best place for my life! Thank you, Lord, for this reminder today and for speaking to me through David's life. Amen.

Please share with us any comments you may have. We love to hear from you and to know that you've been blessed by God's Word each day. Have a fabulous weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Contrary to a common myth, faith isn't something people are born with. More than anything, it's a decision of the heart. And we all have faith in something. It's just a matter of who or what we choose to put our faith in. And you're right--when we trust God, in the end we will be victorious. Not every situation will turn out the way we hoped, but the end game will have us in the winner's circle! Thanks, Michele! I love your posts.

    ReplyDelete