Thursday, March 1, 2012

When You Just Get Tired

I'm hoping for some wisdom from God today as I come to this moment to listen to his word and respond. Welcome along! Our conversation will grow out of 1 Samuel 27 through 28:2. That sounds long but it's just 14 verses. Go ahead and pray for insight and then read it with me. These are the words that jump off the page at me:

In those days the Philistines gathered their forces to fight against Israel. Achish [King of Philistia] said to David, "You must understand that you and your men will accompany me in the army." David said, "Then you will see for yourself what your servant can do." (28:1-2)

How does this happen? Did I read that right? So let me get this straight. David--the Israeli patriot, future anointed king of Israel, champion of God's honor--is marching into battle with the pagan king of the Philistines against the covenant people of God? And not only that, he's even talking smack about how he's going to whip them? I gotta admit. I never saw that one coming!

But then again, we never do. Have you ever found yourself doing the one evil thing you never thought you'd do? There you are thinking, "How in the world did I get myself into this?? I can't believe I'm actually doing this!" You didn't plan to. It was unthinkable that you'd ever get pulled into that. But, nevertheless, there you are. It's a sobering moment of truth.

I've got to believe that's exactly where David was. So how do we get into those places? Pretty much the same way that David did.

David thought to himself, "One of these days I will be destroyed by the hand of Saul. The best thing I can do is to escape to the land of the Philistines. Then Saul will give up searching for me anywhere in Israel, and I will slip out of his hand." (27:1)

God, I can see myself in David here. This is a moment of weakness where I can let myself turn inward and get tired of fighting the good fight. It wasn't that David had just suffered a defeat or was teetering from a crisis, either. He had just pulled off a great stunt and once again put Saul to shame (chp. 26). You had brought him through yet another sticky situation. But he must have just gotten tired of it all.

Sometimes we get to thinking that your way just isn't working for us. We get alone with our thoughts and don't accept the encouragement of others. We think faith will only get us so far and we forget your faithfulness to your promises. We start compromising our ethics because it seems like the expedient thing to do. We lose our focus and stray off course. Sometimes we wander into places, relationships or diversions that seem to offer some refuge from the stress and strain. It seems like a small line to cross and worth the relief it brings. But it's not where we belong, and the tide eventually starts to roll in.

That's how we one day wake up and realize we've traveled far from where we once stood, done things we never thought we'd stoop to. Lord, help me to stay out of that pit! Remind me of your faithfulness and how you've been there for me in the past. Let me never forget that you were there yesterday and you'll be there tomorrow. God, I pledge not to compromise on what's good and right and in tune with your will. I will rely on you and find fresh strength for the journey each day. Thank you for providing it. And thank you for your grace and forgiveness for the times I've failed. I need it and I receive it today because of what Jesus did for me on the cross. Amen.

Please share your comments! You can comment as "Anonymous" or sign in at the top right of the page. Remember to post this to Facebook! It's as simple as clicking the Facebook logo (f) below and typing in your password. Thanks, and God's peace to you!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that Chris. Tim and I really needed that about now. It is like you have been in our world. This post has made me think about staying strong. I do believe that God is a God of wonderment. We should not put God in a box. I have faith that God will provide. AMEN
    Kim & Tim Mehne

    ReplyDelete