Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Take All Things to God

Good morning to all and happy Wednesday! Please join me today as we continue in 2 Samuel.  Please read verses 2:1-3:1. There's lots of great info here but I'm going to focus on the beginning of the chapter this morning.

This is what jumps out at me as I read:

After this, David asked the LORD, "Should I move back to one of the towns of Judah?"
"Yes", the LORD replied.
Then David asked, "Which town should I go to?"
"To Hebron", the LORD answered. (v.1)

Now that Saul was dead David knew that he would be crowned king of his home territory but he didn't just automatically move to Judah. No, Lord, instead David consulted you first. At this time in his life it seems as if he didn't do much without coming to you first. David counted on you to guide his every step and he wanted to make sure he was in your will.

In reading this verse it appears as if you instantly verbally answered David without him having to wait for you to answer. I can't help but think of the many times that waiting has been in your plan for me. Did you really just instantly answer David or was there some waiting involved that we don't know about? For me it's hard to tell. And, did he truly audibly hear your answer? There are many times I've wished you would literally speak to me so I know, without a doubt, what you're saying to me. Lord, you aren't limited in the ways you speak to your children and you certainly could make your voice audibly heard if you so chose. This conversation seems so simple as I read this verse. Maybe David was just so in tune to your voice due to his deep relationship with you. Maybe he chose to trust you completely and not listen to the many other voices in his life. This is one thing that the Bible isn't always clear on. The one thing that is very clear, Lord, is that David knew what you wanted from him and he followed.

And the anointing that occurred privately so many years ago came true publicly as a result.

Then the men of Judah came to David and crowned him king over the people of Judah. (v. 4)

All because he came to you, Lord, for guidance and chose to be obedient.

Please share any feedback that you have with us. We would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment