Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Come and See

Hello! It's Chris writing this evening. Back into an intriguing conversation with God from one of my very favorite parts of Scripture--the Gospel of John. John had a way of seeing beneath the surface of things to notice the deeper spiritual realities and the irony that so often exists in the tension between darkness and light. Today, I'm reading the rest of chapter one, starting with verse 29. There is a series of scenes that play out here in which people are looking and seeking something. Are you?

First, let me back up to John the Baptist's observation in verse 26:

Among you stands one you do not know.

This is the apostle John's message to the world. There is someone you need to get to know and he's right here moving around you. So he records John the Baptist's testimony about who that is--Jesus, who he describes as the Lamb and Son of God. The fact that he is God's Son tells us who he is by nature. He's called the Lamb by virtue of what he came to do--offer himself as the only sacrifice that could ultimately take away sin.

I love Jesus' question in verse 38:

What do you want?

It's more than just an incidental part of a long ago conversation. It's a very important question that he's also asking you and me. What do you want? What are you looking for? It's the deep-down most central question of life.

I'm a browser. My wife, Cathy, was a shopper. She went into a store knowing exactly what she was there to buy. I peruse the aisles and come out with a bunch of stuff I didn't even know I needed! Some of us are browsing our way through life—we’re not really sure what we’re looking for. We want to be happy, but not sure what we need to be seeking to get that. We’re on to one thing, then to another, shopping the isles of life, checking out all the options and going home more confused and frustrated.

The characters in John’s story are all looking for something. Most of them are chasing shadows, when what they are really needing is to know God. So Jesus offers an open-ended invitation:

Come and you will see. (v. 39)

It's echoed by Philip in verse 46: "Come and see." It's Jesus' invitation to us all. It's not hard to find him. You just have to be willing to look. Not sure if Jesus is the one you should put all your hope and trust in? Just come and see. Jump in. Experience him. This is God with an open-door policy. Skeptical? So was Nathaniel (v. 46). But he was willing to go and see for himself. The honest, seeking heart is the one God honors, even if it is still wrestling with doubts.

I need to be reminded that I went looking for that something long ago. I looked in all the wrong places and thought I'd find it in the world, but I didn't. I found it in Jesus. I don't need to look anywhere else. I bet you will too!

Please share this post to your Facebook page to help others out there find Jesus. Click on the "f" button below. And also share you own impressions of what God is saying to you here in this text by commenting below. Be blessed!

2 comments:

  1. You have a way of putting things that seem awfully complicated into a clear and simple statement. Today you have pointed me back to the basic quest for my life -- find Jesus and stay with Him. As life goes on and we get older and we are worn by the cares of life, this clear message shines! Thanks for the spiritual refill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeking God is the only way! He is the only one who can fill us and carry us through this life. If we stay w/ him, we will find our way....and we don't have to do it alone. Thanks, Chris.

    ReplyDelete