Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mrs. Baird's Jesus Rolls

It's amazing to think about the fact that the one who created the universe wants me to know him and has communicated in language that I can understand. Today, let's listen to what he wants to say in John 6. This one is a little longer section, but read the first 15 verses and then skip to verse 25 and read the rest of the chapter. We'll come back to the section we skipped next time. Jesus is communicating something profoundly important here.
 
The main image that runs through this whole chapter is food. It started with the miracle of Jesus feeding a huge crowd with a little boy’s lunch. Bread and fish for everyone, with plenty of leftovers. And that becomes the backdrop for what Jesus has to say in the last half of the chapter. People are flocking to him—but why? Is it because they’ve understood the signs Jesus has performed? Have they realized who he is and put their faith in him? No.

Jesus says, “You’re just after another free meal. I’m your new caterer. Here’s what you’re missing—the food I gave you isn’t with you anymore. You’re already hungry again. Isn’t there something more to look for?” They say, “Yeah, but Moses gave us a daily supply of bread. There was new shipment of manna on the ground every morning. Can’t you do that?” Jesus says, “First of all, it wasn’t Moses, it was God who gave you that bread. And it was a foreshadowing of true Bread he would later send from heaven.”

Then, more than a half dozen times, he says, “I am that bread”:

For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world. (v. 33)

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry... (v. 35)

"I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats this bread he will live forever. This bread is my flesh..." (v. 51)

Why bread? Why not “I am the filet mignon of life"? Or "the lobster tail of life”? We could name lots of dishes that are tastier and more appealing than bread. All of those are local dishes and they’re luxuries. Bread is universal, and it’s a basic staple of life. As one writer put it: “If the poor have anything, they have bread. And if the rich have everything, they still have bread.” (Max Lucado)

I love bakeries. I love walking through there, admiring all of the different kinds of bread. And the smell of fresh-baked bread? Wow. My favorite? Cinnamon rolls. But bread isn’t baked to be admired or contemplated or even just smelled. Bread is baked to be consumed. That’s what I like to do best! You eat it. That’s what it’s for.

Jesus says: "...the one who feeds on me will live because of me." (v. 57)

I hear Jesus saying, “It’s not my gifts you need most; it’s me. The gifts I give you will come and go. They may fill your stomach a while. What you really need is the most basic core element of being truly alive—you need to be connected to your Maker. You need to know my love for you and allow it to fill your heart. You need my wisdom to guide you. You need my life-giving presence and my spirit within you. You need my power to cross over from being among the walking dead to being fully alive. I am the food you need. I’m the bread you crave. So go ahead, consume me!"

I will do that, Jesus. Knowing you is more satisfying than the best meal I've ever eaten. Amen.

Please share how God has spoken to you in this text below. And, if you don't mind, spread the word by sharing this post with your Facebook friends. (Click on the Facebook logo button below.)

3 comments:

  1. If you missed Michele's post yesterday, be sure to check it out. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smell of fresh-baked bread is in my head now! :-) Yes, Lord, let me partake of You and let you be the Essence of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus is all we need. His love for us will sustain us through everything that this life throws our way. Thank you, Lord, for being my bread and all that I need! Thank you, Chris. Your writing always inspires me!

    ReplyDelete