Thursday, August 4, 2011

God or the World?

Good morning to all you fellow bloggers? This is Michele with you on this Thursday and I am loving this study on the book of James. This book is packed with words of wisdom for us to meditate on. I am focusing on James 4:1-6 today. Give it a read. It is very short, so you might read it a couple of times in order to really take it in.

This section begins by telling us that we are jealous of others and want what they have. It also reminds us that there is a reason why we don't always get what we want. It's kind of like in junior high and some kids have all designer clothing or expensive shoes or is more popular and another child who is less fortunate wants to have all that stuff too. He or she may have clothing to wear or shoes on his or her feet, but they may not have everything they want. Adults even struggle with wanting what others have (bigger homes, nice cars, exotic trips, compliant children, a higher spot on the corporate ladder, etc). It seems as if we are never satisfied and always want more, more, more, more!!

......Yet you don't have what you want because you don't ask God for it. And even when you ask, you don't get it because your motives are all wrong- you want only what will give you pleasure. (v. 2-3)

Is there anything wrong with wanting nice things or even asking God for them? No, and sometimes God will bless us with far more then we can ask or imagine. This passage is telling us that sometimes we leave God totally out or we have the wrong motives when we do ask. Just because I want to "keep up with the Jones' " is not a good reason to have certain things. If we are always trying to keep up with others or be like them, we are not being all that God wants us to be. He wants us to strive to be like him, not the world! When we are so focused on the world's value of things, we quickly forget what Christ values and we become very hollow and godless.

You adulterers! Don't you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: if you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God. (v. 4)

What a profound statement!! Adulterers? We are God's, we belong to him. God feels like we are cheating on him when we are so focused on things of this world. Again, it's not wrong to have nice things and even wealth but if we make them the center of our existence, then there is no room for God. I don't want to be an enemy of God. I want my commitment to be to God and his plans for my life, even if I never have all that others have.

But he gives us even more grace to stand against such evil desires. As the scriptures say, "God opposes the proud but favors the humble". (v. 6)

This is very encouraging news! I have God's grace to forgive me when I fail and to change my heart so that I can stand against the evil that fills my heart as a human being.  I want to be humble so that God will pour out his favor on me. Only with God can I be changed and renewed so that my mind and desires are not focused on the emptiness that this world has to offer. I do not want to be an opponent of God, I want to be on his team!

Lord, cleanse me of all selfish ambition and help me to focus on wanting you and all that you have for me. Help me to seek your values and find my contentment in you, not this world. This world is empty. You are so filling, Lord. Help others to see that my commitment is to you, not to having more and giving into greed and envy. Help me to seek your kingdom first and allow you to bless me as you see fit. I love you, God, and want to live for you. Amen.

Please share your comments with us! This is a great study and it is so encouraging to share thoughts amongst other Christians as we study the same passages.

1 comment:

  1. You adulterers! Don't you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: if you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God. (v. 4)

    I have been looking for this very verse for a few months now! It has been the topic of MANY heated discussions about how Christians live their lives in the world. People try to hide, they try to be one way with their "church" friends and then another way to the world. God sees. God knows. We should live our lives for God EVERY day, ALL day.
    This was REALLY good Michele!!

    ReplyDelete