Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wise Living

Being in God's Word is so strengthening and makes me feel closer to God. And today's conversation with him is centering around James 3:13-18. What do you hear him saying to you in your present circumstances? I hear him saying that to live well, I must live wisely.

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. (v. 13)

And this isn't what the world necessarily defines as wise living. The wisdom of God proves itself in what we experience. The wisdom of the world proves to be futile and misguided. Selfish ambition and bragging and conniving my way into the top spot or the spotlight may be what the self-help books promote, but that produces only a fragile sense of importance that eventually falls apart, along with the relationships I kill along the way. Contrary to conventional "wisdom," you don't have to have the cold, killer instinct to be successful in business or to come out the "winner" in relationships.

God's wisdom isn't two-faced but sincere. It's not mean-spirited but gentle and reasonable. Wisdom teaches me to be considerate of the other person and willing to sometimes yield to their wishes instead of always demanding my own way. It's characterized by the fact that I can get along well with others, starting with those closest to me. And the result is a rich harvest of the best things in life--a peaceful relationship with God and with most others.

Jesus, I see the wisdom of your way of life and I'm so drawn to you. Lead me in your ways so that I can live wisely and experience the rewards. Amen!

Okay, it's your turn to share what God impressed on your heart in this text. Sign in (top, right corner) and then comment below. If you don't have a Google account yet, click on the link "How to Sign In" at the top of the right column. You can also choose Anonymous from the "Comment As" menu. And please share this post with your Facebook friends (click F icon below).

3 comments:

  1. If it weren't for God's wisdom, where would I be? Not where I am now, although I am FAR FAR from where I need to be! I depend on God for wisdom and guidance and pray for His will in my life. I pray that all of us will rely on God, His word, His life, His teachings. I want us all to be able to live the life that God wants us to live, to be free in Christ Jesus....... where true LIFE is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on, Chris! The greatest "success manual" is the Bible, and not so many people look there for wisdom and advice! Kristal, like you I go to the Throne of God every day, many times during the day, praying for wisdom and guidance in my life. I don't have many answers, but I do have the trust in God to believe He will give that wisdom and guidance. He has promised and I BELIEVE. May God bless His children this day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very true! Wisdom only comes from following our Lord and living his way. Wisdom sure does not follow the world's example but does lead to a much more fulfilled life!!

    ReplyDelete