Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Descent to the Top

Welcome back to our conversations with God! Are you ready? We're going into John 13 today, the first 17 verses. You may have heard this story before. Read it and listen with fresh ears, as if for the very first time. Place yourself at the table. Place yourself with the towel. What does Jesus want to say to you right now?

Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me." (v. 8)

I'm so grateful to Jesus for washing me! I welcome his washing. I'm like Peter here: "Well, don't stop with my feet, then! I want a relationship with you, and if I need you to wash me to have it, then wash away!" You see, I know that without Jesus washing my soul it's awfully dirty and cruddy. Yes, it's so peaceful feeling clean and washed and guilt-free before God. And what I mess I was when he washed me!

How I'm taken aback by the reality that the King of the universe, the infinite and eternal God, would stoop down and "wash my feet." He's the King but he served me. He's in charge but he played the servant. He's superior in every way but he identified himself with me. He didn't need me but he loved me. He is repulsed by every tinge of evil, yet he got his hands unbelievably dirty washing my spiritual grime. No matter how many times I've heard it, I 've got to pause and whisper "Wow!"

And now what? Am I going to remain kicked back at the table eating grapes, expecting Jesus and everyone else to keep on serving me? How could I?

"I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." (v. 15)

Okay, I get it, Jesus! If you're the greatest and you humbly serve others, then that's what defines true greatness. You've elevated me by transforming this prideful guy into a servant! The way up is stooping down. There is no higher calling than to lay self-interest aside and focus on the needs of others. The more I serve, and the more unassumingly I do it, the more significant I become. Here on my knees, with a towel around my waist and a bowl of dirty water at the feet of other people, is where I find my closest proximity to you. You've served me, now I will serve others. Thank you for teaching me the power and greatness of service. Amen.

So, who's got dirty feet?

For more on this subject, check out my Easter Sunday message from last year entitled Rising Downward at this link: http://www.onelifeonline.com/media/index.php?video=04-04-10. (It starts about 27 minutes into the service.) I'm looking forward to hearing from others of you who are reading this blog. Please join in the conversation! Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment