Friday, September 16, 2011

Lead On

A very happy Friday to you! A great weekend starts with a conversation with the God who loves us. So grab your coffee or your soft drink and let's settle in for a visit with Jesus from John 10:1-21. As you listen to what he says, imagine that he is talking directly to you. Ask yourself how you should think or act based on what he says.

I love this metaphor Jesus uses of himself as the Good Shepherd.

...the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. (v. 3-4)

This is a picture of familiarity and complete trust. I hear Jesus saying that this is what he wants in our relationship. I need to listen to him so that I can recognize his voice when I hear it. I want to know Jesus well enough that I know his heart. Then I can discern what is from him and what is not.

But life is pretty simple in this picture Jesus paints. It's about knowing him, absorbing his teaching and following his lead. It's not really complicated at all. The only difficulty lies in wanting this relationship and all that it brings badly enough to surrender my right to steer my own life. Once I want Jesus' leadership badly enough, it really is just about spending time with him and going where he leads me.

Now that can sound a little intimidating, too. Because what if he leads me somewhere or into a situation that is uncomfortable? I am hearing him loud and clear this morning speaking this to my heart:

...he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him...

He goes on ahead of me. He takes the turn before I do. Wherever I end up, he's already there waiting on me. He doesn't just send me out. He leads me out. The difference is huge. I've got to trust that however rough the terrain may be that he leads me through, I face no threat alone. And the place we're heading is going to be green and lush. He's the Good Shepherd. He loves me enough that he laid down his life to save me. And he took up his life again so that he can continue to lead and protect me.

Jesus, lead on. I'm right behind you.

So what's keeping you from trusting him to lead you? Share it with us in the comments section below.

2 comments:

  1. I continue to try and take his lead. I want to so badly. Temptation is one area slows me from my goal of faithfully following Jesus's path. I pray constantly, yet I am weak. My home support distracts me, although he loves God without doubt. Pray for us. Pray for America and all our world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a place where I often seen green fields with sheep grazing. There are no fences because there are small ditches filled with water that keep the sheep from wandering away. When the farmer comes along, the sheep quickly congregate around him and are happy to see him! Even though they have enough to eat in the green pasture, they still love the one who is their caretaker. Jesus is my daily Guide and Comfort. When temptations come, I just put my mind on Him and ask myself, "What does He want me to do with this?" Then it is easier to stay in the green pastures and never leave the Shepherd who loves me. God bless you as you struggle.... it is worth it!

    ReplyDelete