Wednesday, September 14, 2011

To Live Forever

Happy Wednesday morning to you! This is Michele with you today and I am focusing on the last portion of John 8, verses 48-59. Please read them with me and quiet yourself so you can hear what God has to say to you. It is very short so read it more than once if needed. This is the treasure that spoke to my heart:

I tell you the truth, anyone who obeys my teaching will never die! (vs. 51)

"I tell you the truth........never die!" When Jesus says he is telling us the truth, he means what he says. If I had a bible with all of Jesus' words in red, this would be one of those verses that would stand out. Jesus didn't mean that we will physically live forever (praise him for that!) but that we will live forever in eternity with him. Jesus continually tried to get the people to understand this concept of eternal life and following him. Jesus told them time and again that if they would follow him they would experience true life, a life that would go on even after their physical death. A life with purpose far beyond following religious rules and rigidity.

Did the religious leaders believe what Jesus said? No, they couldn't get past their claim against Jesus of blasphemy. They thought Jesus was possessed by a demon (vs. 52). How many people do you know who live with blinders on when it comes to a relationship w/ Christ? Do you ever feel like you are banging your head against a wall trying to witness to them? Imagine how Jesus must have felt in dealing with the religious leaders! Talk about stubborn people! They claimed to know and follow God but Jesus pointed out how blind they really were.

....You say, "He is our God," but you don't even know him....(vs.54-55)

You see, it isn't about what rules we follow, what we do and what we don't do. It's strictly about knowing our Savior and knowing we've been saved from ourselves and the power of the devil. If we don't understand this, we are not truly living at all! To know God is a journey and an adventure, one to be sought after and embraced. It is a growing knowledge of his Word and his love for us. It is a love affair far beyond any earthly love affair with another human being. Knowing Christ is something that will make a difference in who we are at the very core of our being and what we hope others will see in us and inquire about. Do you know him like that? Are you bored with him or do you thirst for more of him?

Lord, I come to you this morning wanting more of you. I can't wait to experience eternal life with you. Until that day comes, Lord, take me deeper in my love affair with you here on earth. Give me a thirst for more of you! I want others to see you in me and want what I have. Speak through me to others who may not know you. So many people in this world do not fully understand eternal life and what that means for them. I want to live my life completely to honor and bring glory to your name. Amen

I hope this was a blessing to you this morning. If so, please share this with your friends.....maybe those who don't already know God. I bet you have facebook friends who live with blinders on. Just click the f below and share this post on your facebook account. Great way to witness to a world in need!

1 comment:

  1. Michele, I thought this was such a great post from you! I love the way you describe a real relationship with Jesus and make me want more of him. Great job, and thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete