Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Lesson in Belief

Good morning and happy Tuesday to all of you! I, Michele, am with you this morning and want to explore Chapter 11 of the book of John with you. This is the wonderful story of Lazarus being raised from the dead by our miraculous Savior. I love this story! Give it a read and see what God has to say to you personally. I have read this story many times but I now understand some of the emotion experienced by the characters. This is what pops out at me:

Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died." (v. 21)

When Mary arrived and saw Jesus, she fell at his feet and said, "Lord, if only you had been here, my brother would not have died." (v. 32)

Notice back in verse 6 the text states that Jesus stayed where he was for 2 days before going to Judea (where Lazarus was) even after being told that Lazarus was very sick.  I think both Mary and Martha were a little perturbed that Jesus waited for so long before coming. They were both positive that Jesus could have healed Lazarus' illness. How dare him! He was a close friend of Lazarus and did not immediately come to his aid. I don't think you and I are much different from Mary and Martha. I know I'm that way. I want Jesus to come to my aid as soon as I need him and not a minute later! Do you ever feel that way? Do you ever wonder why God waits and takes his sweet time when you are in such dire need? Why do you suppose?

If we go back to verse 4 we are told why:

But when Jesus heard about it he said, "Lazarus' sickness will not end in death. No, it happened for the glory of God so that the Son of God will receive glory from this."

I think Jesus wanted to do a little showing off here. Or....was there more to this? Why wait? He could have healed him instantly even from far away. Was this a test in belief? At a time like this??

Jesus wants complete trust from every one of his followers. He wants to show us his glory and he often chooses times of tragedy to show himself the biggest. 2 Corinthians 12:9 states, "....'My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.' " I can't think of a time when one might be weaker than when they've lost a loved one.

Jesus responded, "Didn't I tell you that you would see God's glory if you believe?" (v. 40)

And so he simply raised Lazarus from the dead. What an amazing miracle! Even bigger than if he would have healed his illness before he died, don't you think? I wish this text would have gone on the explain the reaction of those who saw this. It obviously isn't important enough for us to know but I imagine there would be lots of fear and subsequent falling at Jesus' feet in praise. It would be hard not to believe after seeing a miracle like that! Isn't our Lord brilliant?

I'm quite positive that there are people in your life who need to understand the saving power of our Lord and Savior. How about sharing this story with them and inviting them to read this blog on a daily basis? It just might be exactly what they need.

2 comments:

  1. Nothing can be a bigger test of our faith than living on God's time-table! A friend of mine says, "God may seem late, but he's always right on time." God's greatest agenda in our lives isn't fixing all our problems but growing our faith and our character. That's why he often chooses to delay the solutions we seek. The waiting may be the hardest part, but it's also the part with the most growth opportunity! Thanks so much for sharing this insight with us, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, Chris! I know that the things I have waited the longest for have been some of the biggest blessings in my life. Praise him for that!

    ReplyDelete