Friday, September 23, 2011

Lizards on a Hot Rock

You never know where a conversation with God is going to go! He always sets the agenda. So be open to hear whatever he wants to say to you in this moment. Let's listen from John 12:37-50. You can't read this and not feel God leaning in to engage you. I am drawn to Jesus' words:

I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. (v. 46)

More profound statements from Jesus about light and darkness. But how do they apply to where you and I are right now? Do you recognize the darkness around you? Are you aware of it? Just a while ago, I was driving home, surfing through the radio stations. A dance song came on that's several years old. It's a picture of an encounter, maybe at a bar or a party. A guy is asking a girl what she's going to do with all her sexy body parts (her "junk in the trunk"), and she says she's going to get him "love-drunk" by "humping" him.

I was struck by the darkness in the song. Teenagers and adults listen to that and imitate it, thinking it's going to be so exciting. And yes, it probably is...for a few minutes while it lasts. They're panting like lizards on a hot rock. But then what? When they're done, they're probably feeling an urge to get away, a sense of disrespect, maybe even a tinge of disgust for each other. There's no lasting happiness. No fulfillment. No real intimacy. They're left hungrier and emptier than before. Darkness. It's just a shadow of love...not the real thing.

Jesus is calling you and me away from those shadows to lift our eyes to the real thing. He wants us to experience true love with the light shining on it. And that kind of love finds its source in God. It takes us straight to the top in a context of adoration, all-out commitment and total self-giving with nothing held back. See, once you've stood in the light and experienced it, you realize how lousy you had it when you were surrounded by the shadows. I love that about Jesus!

Jesus, thank you for teaching me what really makes life good. Thank you for your light. Without it, I flounder around in the shadowlands missing out on the real thing. You, Jesus, are the real deal.

I'd really like to know how God spoke to you through this piece of Scripture. Would you please share it? Comment below. And spread the love! Share this post to your Facebook wall by clicking the "f" icon below. Thanks and God bless you!

1 comment:

  1. Darkness is all around us here in this life, and it is disguised as "fun" and "entertainment." But one small candle can light up the darkness...and I have always thought about that when I feel the most discouraged or beat up. God is LIGHT and He dwells within me, so how can I be afraid of the dark if I am His child? He will stay with me and sing lullabies in the night as long as I listen...

    ReplyDelete