Friday, September 30, 2011

Take a Stand

Jesus has something crucially important to say to us today. Gotta switch off the noise and listen! I'm reading John 13:36 through 14:6 today. If you have a Bible, jump in there with me. If not, you can use a site like www.biblegateway.com and read from a number of different translations.

Peter: "Jesus, I will lay down my life for you!"
Jesus: "Will you really? Before the rooster crows in the morning you will have disowned me three times!" (13:37-38)

I can relate a little to Peter here. There have been times I wanted so much to do the right thing, but ended up doing the wrong thing. And I have to ask myself if Peter is the only one who disowned Jesus. There are certain contexts in which it takes courage to stand up and be counted as his follower. I don't ever want to disown him either by my words or by my actions. Yet I fear that at some point, I have. So maybe we better give Peter a break.

I can only imagine what Christians in Communist or Muslim countries must go through and the threats they face. I think I'm going to pause and pray for them, as well as myself. If I were in their shoes, I would be so strengthened knowing that my fellow disciples across the ocean are praying for me. In fact, I'm going to commit to praying for persecuted Christ-followers around the globe daily for the month of October. If I can do that, perhaps their plight will really sink in and they will become part of my heart. I might even read up about some of them on Voice of the Martyrs.

There is so much in life that is tough or confusing or both. Picking up on yesterday's post, I'm reminded of the wonderfully simple way that Jesus calls me forward.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (14:6)

When I'm confused, the only truth I really need to know is the Truth. I just need to know Jesus. When I'm feeling lost and directionless, I know that the way forward is the Way. I just need to hang onto Jesus and trust that he will lead me where he wants me. When I'm feeling threatened and fearful about my safety or well-being, my life is filled with the Life. And that Life doesn't ever have to feel threatened because it is secure and it is mine, protected by Jesus himself.

He's the Way, the Truth, and the Life. I'm taking my stand right there. Yeah, he's worth standing up for!

Is anybody out there? Let me hear from you! Take a second and comment below.

2 comments:

  1. Great insight, Chris! I feel so comforted by verse 14:6. Life is so uncertain and there are so many things that don't seem to make sense right now. It gives me a great sense of peace to know that the Truth, the Way, and the Life is always right by my side....no need to fret!! Thank you, Chris! I am always encouraged by your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of Rafat, dear brother living still in Beirut. During the Moslem/Christian war there he remained when all of us had to leave the country. He stayed in the church meeting place and suffered greatly because it was in Moslem territory. He was captured, tortured almost to the point of death, spending months in the hospital. He came to Christ with caution, but when he committed, he was faithful almost to death! Can I be so faithful to my Lord? It is my prayer... and Jesus IS the only WAY. Encouraging each other here is a tremendous strength to my soul Thanks Chris and Michele for your faithfulness in keeping this blog going.
    K.B

    ReplyDelete