Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What Lies Ahead

God blesses those who seek him and who hunger and thirst for any encounter with him. So let's see if he has a word for us today. Join me in reading from the Bible, John 13:18-30. As you read it a second time, think about the details and ask the Holy Spirit to apply it to your heart. What is he saying to you?

"I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am He." (v. 19)

Of course, Jesus went on to express that he knew all about Judas' plot to betray him. That shows me that Jesus was no unsuspecting victim. He was always the one in control. But it also speaks to my own life. It's a reminder that Jesus knows the future.

That's important to me because I don't have a clue what lies ahead. And that scares me sometimes. As I consider my next step forward, I don't even know what it is. I'm looking for an open door, praying and seeking God's direction. But so far, a lot about the future is still pretty murky. An uncertain future is something that keeps a lot of people up at night.

But Jesus already knows exactly what is going to happen before it ever happens. Nothing surprises him. What I wonder and worry about, he already foresees the outcome. I don't need a crystal ball. Jesus is steering my life and he not only knows the future, but he even directs it. That's comforting because he is the one I can trust to show me the way. I can trust that my future is secure in his plans. It is not for me to know just yet, but when the time is right he will reveal what he has in mind for me to do.

In the meantime, I already know who he wants me to be. And that is most important.

Please add your reflections below in the Comments section! And share this post to your Facebook page before you go. Thanks, and God bless and guide you as you trust him!

3 comments:

  1. Uncertainty... none of us likes to have that feeling. We always want to be "in control" and steer our own course with clear vision. But -- that is not always the case in our lives, and even when we think we have the tiger by the tail and life is perfect, then something comes and capsizes the whole thing! THAT is life. It seems that the closer I am to God, the more He challenges my faith by making me depend on Him in the dark and the storm. That is a compliment...he did the same for his apostles and many other heroes in Bible history. Hang on! Trust! Don't let the darkness take over. LOVE is in control. Chris, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with both of you! Uncertainty and the quietness of God is so hard to embrace. It seems like life has so much more uncertainty than certainty. I suppose that's by design. If we just let go of our desire to control and steer the course of things ourselves, we realize that God won't leave us to wonder aimlessly forever. He has it all under control! Easier said than done but we were never in control anyway. Chris, your strength is an inspiration and your faith is one to be admired. God has amazing things for you because Katrinka is right, LOVE is in control!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always benefit from your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete