Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Breathe Life

God wants to speak to you. Are you listening? Today I'm reading Isaiah 41:21 - 42:9. And just a tip, if you pay attention you may hear lyrics to a hit praise song or two here too. Can you find them? Read it with me. Do you hear anything?

See, [the world's idols] are all false! Their deeds amount to nothing; their images are but wind and confusion. . . .  God Yahweh . . . gives breath to its people, and life to those who walk on it. (41:29; 42:5)


Our world is a noisy place with a lot of people leaking the hot air of their empty philosophies of life. The gods of our world make a lot of noise and create a big stir like a strong wind howling through a trailer park. But there is no real substance there. The end result of going their direction is chaos and confusion. People are left wondering what there is to live for, if there is anything they can count on or legitimately hope for. It's all smoke and mirrors.

The God of creation, on the other hand, is a different story. The wind of God is the breath of life. When he speaks life springs up and blooms. That's what God gives that no idol can--life.

God, breathe your life into me! Blow through our community and bring real life to everyone around.

If you'd like to share your thoughts, comment below. Either sign in with your Google account profile or select Anonymous from the drop-down list.

2 comments:

  1. I saddens me to know that so many people are convinced that "things".......money, unhealthy relationships, premarital sex, drugs, alcohol, self mutilation, etc.....will someday finally make them happy or complete. In the end, this philosophy comes up empty! I often wonder where I would be right now if God had not moved my heart to cling to him when I did. I tried to find happiness in many unhealthy choices.......but the emptiness just multiplied.

    Chris, you are so right! God is the only life giver....and no idol can come even come close!! Thank you Lord for pulling me out of the pit of death and giving me true life and your joy.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great testimony, Michele! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete