Monday, February 14, 2011

Overcome

Welcome back! Today is God's. Let's take in what he has to say in 1 John 4:1-6. Pray and then go ahead and read it for yourself first. There may be something you need to hear today other than what I bring out. It's just six verses so read it through more than once. Ask the Holy Spirit to make your heart sensitive to his Word.

This statement speaks to me today:

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. (v. 4)

It sometimes feels to the contrary. The force of the tide of this world pushes so strongly against what Jesus is all about. There are those moments when I feel so outnumbered and get that "what's the use?" attitude. Sometimes it's just one person that has me in their crosshairs and is trying to make me miserable. That's when I need to hear this. I not only can overcome, I already have! My victory is so certain that the writer can speak of it as if it's already happened. And Jesus is the reason.

I need to remember, good really is stronger than evil. In the end, love really does win. Because Jesus, who lives in me, is indeed greater than Satan, whose influence permeates this world. Father, today I affirm your truth and your word to me that I have overcome. God, no one is greater than you!

Note: If you've tried to comment on a post before but were unable because you don't have a Google account, that has been changed. Anyone can now comment without signing up for anything. At the bottom of your comment when it asks you what profile you want to use, just select the last option, "anonymous."

No comments:

Post a Comment