Monday, February 28, 2011

Loving You God

Today is a great day! It's Monday, but God is still speaking to you. Let's check out Isaiah 43:14-28 after you ask God to speak to you through his Word. Give it a read-through at least twice if you can. What are you hearing there that God is impressing on you? These complaints from God made me think:

"You have not called upon me . . .you have not wearied yourselves for me. . . . You have not honored me with your sacrifices . . . you have not brought any fragrant calamus for me, or lavished on me the fat of your sacrifices." (v. 22-24)

What strikes me here, God, is that you sound strikingly like a wife who feels neglected and unloved. It's like you're saying, "When is the last time you bought me some nice perfume or went out of your way to do anything special for me?" I know this isn't about what you need but about what I need. Only when I love you like I should do I find the real life you want to give.

I say that I love you, God. I say that you have first place. But I confess that sometimes I fail to show it. I wonder, if you were my wife, would you feel loved by me or would you feel neglected and taken for granted? When is the last time I made a significant sacrifice for you just to express my love? What have I lavished on you lately? My time? My money? My creativity to do something special for you?

I know that, as in every other relationship, my actions speak so much louder than my words when it comes to how I really feel about you, God. Lord, I want to love you more intensely than ever before. I want you to feel loved and treasured by me. Because the truth is that you are the best thing that ever happened to me! Amen.

Please share your thoughts with us by commenting below. Either sign in with your Google account profile or select Anonymous from the drop-down list.

3 comments:

  1. Actions DO speak louder than words! This was a good thought to keep on the refrigerator. What HAVE I done today to show my Lord that I love him? And yet, I realize that everything we do is service to Him too, if we do it with love and the best we can. And what we do for others out of kindness and love is also serving and honoring my Lord. He IS WORTHY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way Chris. There are days when I cease to think of God and what I can do or should have done for him. I realize that the whole day was spent just doing w/ no recognition of my God or his work in my life.

    The verses that you've highlighted are very convicting to my heart.

    Lord, I'm sorry for not giving my all to you and your will for my life. Please help me to focus on loving you first and fill my heart w/ love for the others that you have placed in my life. Help me not to take your mercy and grace for granted.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, it's not always about doing something different but about doing what you do for God's glory and honor. Just living your whole life as a living sacrifice, whether it's volunteering to help God's cause or taking care of loved ones or even praising God as you have a blast enjoying the beauty around you that he made.

    ReplyDelete