Thursday, February 17, 2011

Incomparable

I hope you enjoyed 1 John as much as I do. It's always been one of my very favorite parts of Scripture. Now let's shift to a powerful part of the Old Testament, the book of Isaiah. It's a very long book, so for now I'm going to just focus on the second half. The first 39 chapters are mainly about God's judgment on his hardened and unfaithful people. Starting in chapter 40, the prophecy turns to a message of hope and renewal.

Let's read 40:1-26 today. It's poetry, so read it that way. If you can, read it aloud so you can also hear it. What is jumping out at you?

To whom, then, will you compare God? . . . "To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One (v. 18, 25)

In my quest for closeness to God, I need to also reflect on how great and far above me he is. This passage reminds me of his incomparable power and wisdom. It's as if he holds the earth within his cupped hands! Nothing and no one can ever come close. He alone is eternal. His plans never fail. He keeps the universe in motion. Yet he also "gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart" (v. 11).

God, what level of honor and respect do I give you?  I love to be in your presence especially in nature and just be in wonder of you. What problem could I possibly have that you can't handle? And what in the world could be so compelling that it would move you out of first place in my life?

If you'd like to share your thoughts, comment below. Either sign in with your Google account profile or select Anonymous from the drop-down list.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking for myself I know giving things/problems over completely to God has been a real struggle for me. Living in a world/society where they engrave in you to take charge of your life has developed a controlling characteristic that effects our faith walk. I don't intentionally push God out of first place, its seems the taxing duties to provide for my family draw the focus away. It's a matter of finding that balance, which is something I wish to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that fulfilling your duties to care for your family is one way that you glorify God. When you are a good mom or dad you bring honor to him. At the same time, I know it is easy in our culture to give your kids everything except what they need most--a growing relationship with the Source of real life and an understanding of his will. If we can keep that in mind it will help us make the right choices.

    ReplyDelete