Thursday, February 10, 2011

Life Test

First, a tip about subscribing to the blog posts: Beneath this post you will find a button labeled "Subscribe to Posts" and another labeled "Subscribe to Comments." If you click on either, it will ask you to identify which of several web services you use. I don't recognize all of them, but if you use a personalized My Yahoo or Google homepage on your browser, it will add the blog to your page. Even if you don't, you can create one for free and quite easily even if you don't plan to use it as a homepage. Once you've added the blog to your My Yahoo or Google page, then you can click on the Options button on the corner of the box in which the blog appears there and select Alerts. You can then tell it to send you alerts for new posts to your email or your mobile phone via text. At that point, if you don't want to use the Yahoo or Google page as your homepage, you can go back to whatever homepage you like to use, click on Tools on your IE toolbar, select Internet Options, then click the Use Current button under the Homepage box. The alerts should still come.

Now, for today's conversation with God. I'm reading 1 John 3:1-10. If you can, get out your Bible and read it slowly, then re-read it and try to soak it in. Find a statement that catches your attention and ask yourself why it does. Write down the statement and then your observation about it.

No one who lives in him (Christ) keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. (v. 6)

At first glance this verse is disturbing. I know I still sin at times. The struggle with my human nature is still part of my experience. Does that mean I don't really have a relationship with Jesus? John wants to get my attention and make me take real stock of my heart. He's saying that if I really have met Jesus and been captivated by his goodness and how he brings beauty and healing to the broken world, I won't choose to keep living in the dark, destructive ways of people who don't know him. Knowing Jesus changes the way you see reality, and the way you see reality guides your choices.

He's not saying I will never be temporarily deceived again and sin. He's saying a real relationship with Jesus brrings me out of the spiritual fog and into the sunlight where I will choose to live a different kind of life by his grace and power. If I find myself still living like an unbeliever and there's no real difference in me, the likelihood is that I haven't really come to know Jesus. I may know of him, but I don't know him and love him and trust him.

If there is a difference in me and I'm moving his way but I am still a slave to some sin in my life, I shouldn't question my salvation. But I need to figure out what lie I'm believing and replace it with the truth and wisdom of Jesus. I need to give it over to him and turn to trusted spiritual friends for help and strength. A growing relationship with Jesus will keep me from being apathetic or content to stay stuck in sin.

Jesus, I want to know you for real. I want to see through your eyes. I want to live in your way. Give me your grace to forgive my mistakes and your power to free me from their grip. Teach me that I can't do this alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment