Friday, February 11, 2011

Feeling Like a Failure

Let's let God speak to us today from 1 John 3:11-24. It's powerful stuff! Ask God to help you hear what he wants to say and read through it, more than once if possible. Pay attention to anything that stands out. What do you most need to hear in this passage? What challenges you? encourages you? Think about it.

This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. (v. 19-20)

There's nothing like being at peace with God in my heart. When my heart is condemning me I can ask myself if I see evidence of God's love acting through me to serve others. But even then God knows everything about me and he knows I am his. No matter what uneasiness or doubts I may feel about my relationship with him, he has made it clear that I am his. He is greater than my heart. His declaration that I am his son, washed and purified by the blood of his unique Son, overrules whatever doubts and uncertainty I may sometimes feel. Isn't that cool?

Thank you, Father, for being my Father and loving me as your son, whether I have a good day or a bad day, whether I'm hitting home runs or striking out. I rest in your grace and it inspires me to live for you.

1 comment: