Thursday, June 16, 2011

Anthony Weiner and Bold Prayers

I need a word from God to keep me focused on the right priorities today, don't you? Let's get it from Psalm 17. This is a prayer for vindication and protection, but pay attention also to the kind of commitment to God that the writer expresses:

Though you probe my heart and examine me at night, though you test me, you will find nothing; I have resolved that my mouth will not sin. As for the deeds of men...I have kept myself from the ways of the violent. My steps have held to your paths; my feet have not slipped. (v. 3-5)

This morning, I heard Steeler's star Hines Ward say that he and NFL Hall of Famer Franco Harris are "tight like that." He's got friendship access to the legend. I want to be tight like that with God. When I most need him I want to know I have friendship access.

When I pray and ask God for help, turning to him for what only he can do, like the psalmist I find that I can do that much more confidently when my conscience is clean. If there is guilt, I can't help but wonder if God is angry with me and disciplining me for what I've done. I am reluctant to pray, or at least tentative. But a conscience clear of guilt pumps up the boldness of my prayers and the peace of believing that God will be favorable to them.

In these verses above, the writer affirms that his heart, his mouth, his actions and his direction in life are all in harmony with the will of God. He even says, "Come surprise me at night! You'll still find me the same man that I am in the daytime. No double life here!" Don't you think Anthony Weiner wishes he could say that right now? There is peace in authenticity and consistency in walking with God.

That kind of peace and the powerful, confident prayers that it breeds begin with a clear decision and a strong resolve. He isn't offering excuses and falling back on the fact that he's human and full of weakness. He is clear about his life's direction, all-out in his devotion to God. "I have resolved that my mouth will not sin."
He doesn't run his mouth destructively because he's full of resolve not to. He made a strong commitment to God that his mouth would be ruled by God's Spirit instead of just saying whatever came to mind. Wouldn't it be great if everyone lived that way?

It's so assuring to know that you're innocent, to be able to pray and say, "God, I know that I have kept to your ways and haven't slipped." Sometimes we accept our weakness to the extent that we begin to believe that we can't live a holy life. We accept our character failures as if they're natural and normal. Yes, we're all sinners in need of God's grace, but those of us who have been redeemed and changed by Jesus Christ are free to no longer be slaves of sin. We're not just free from its condemnation but also from its power to run our lives. I can live nobly and purely, above the carelessness of our culture. And I feel the benefit when I go to my knees in prayer to the holy God whose help I seek.

 God, today I commit my heart, my mouth, my actions and my decisions to you. I will not sin or stray from the goodness of your will. I will not let myself be drawn away, tripped up or let my feet slip. I'm taking my stand right here with you. Let your character be mine. Amen!

Has God brought something to your thoughts from this psalm? Why not share it? It might be just what someone else needs. Sign in at the top right corner of the page and then comment below--or you can just select "Anonymous" in the "Comment as" field below. God's peace to you!

2 comments:

  1. Like the psalmist, we have people in our lives who like to start trouble, who seem to hunt us down and won't let things be.

    "They are without pity. Listen to their boasting." (v. 10)

    Lord, as I come in contact with others who behave this way, help me to stay innocent and not act like them. Help me to trust that you will guard me and hide me in the shadow of your wings. I don't have to do anything! Help me to trust your promises so that I don't slip into sinful, reactionary behavior.

    "You will not even need to fight. take your positions; then stand still and watch the Lord's victory. He is with you, O people of Judah and Jeruselum. Do not be afraid or discouraged. Go out against them tomorrow, for the Lord is with you". (2 Chronicles 20:17)

    I am no longer a slave to sin!! I choose to follow your ways, Lord, and trust that you will bring justice in my life. Amen

    Thank you for your words of encouragement, Chris! I really needed this.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right! It's good to rest in the truth that the God of justice sees all things and he will vindicate the innocent. When we let God fight our battles for us, we know the war will be won!

    ReplyDelete