Friday, June 10, 2011

How to Wait

Well, I'm back! After a wonderful trip I'm trying to catch up on so much I have to get done. My mother, Katrinka, has done such a fantastic job blogging for me that you may be disappointed that it's me writing today. I promise to have her write more often along with Michele, who also has so much insight to share. Thanks so much to you both!

I confess I'm in a hurry today so it's going to be short and sweet. I'm listening, though, for God's voice and his word to me in Psalm 13. I just can't overlook how the first four sentences all begin with the same phrase, "How long...?"

How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart?" (v. 2)

I wish that God would move on my timetable. So many times I have felt like he was dragging his feet taking forever to grant my prayers. Sometimes I feel like reminding him that just because he lives forever and thinks nothing of time doesn't mean I do! He would laugh and tell me I would do so much better if I would learn to slow down and get comfortable with waiting for the pace of life.

How long? How long, Lord? How long till you act? How long must I wait? That's how this poem begins, but then the whole tone shifts:

But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me. (v. 5-6)

When I'm waiting impatiently God wants me to just focus on this--he loves me. His love for me never quits. I know that whatever else happens, God will see me through and will eventually deliver me. I will anticipate it and know that his salvation is just around the corner! Instead of fretting while I'm waiting, I'll just sing praise to him for how good he has been to me, for every blessing he's graciously provided, and for all the promises he will yet fulfill. With a heart like that I can learn to wait. God may seem slow, but he's never late.

I love you, too, Lord. You have been so good to me!

Please share your insights from this psalm below. Great to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. It makes me comforted to know that even David felt this impatience that I so often feel after praying and hoping and waiting for God's answers! I am really bad at waiting....patience is something I have prayed for, but often I realize that God's answers to my prayers require more PATIENCE! Chris, thank you for making us aware of His faithful love even when we have not yet seen the answer to our prayers... Trust in the Lord and WAIT.
    K.B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting is very hard for me too! I am the type of person who likes to get things going, get things moving, get things done.

    I have discovered though, through certain situations in my life, that waiting on the Lord is the BEST way to go about life. God will honor our wait and bless us for being committed to his will.

    I have been blessed beyond measure and would not have been had I not waited on the Lord!!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete