Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Power to Bless

Today's conversation with our awesome Creator is going to get its start in Psalm 20. I really like this one! Ask God to speak to you through it and then read it aloud at least a couple of times.

May the LORD answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.... May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed. (v. 1, 4)

When you read this, who do you apply it to? Do you read it as if it's being prayed over you? Wouldn't you feel blessed if someone prayed like this for you? I know I would! These statements aren't promises, they are petitions. This is a psalm of blessing. Simply put, it contains words of hope and encouragement to speak to someone else. This was a blessing for the king, a song that the people sang in their worship gatherings on behalf of their leader. They knew that as their leader went, so would go the fortunes of the people. Their expectation as they sang this blessing was that their leader was in a committed relationship to God and seeking his will.

I feel God telling me that I need to pray for the president and other leaders more. As a spiritual leader, on those occasions when I have received an encouraging card or note from someone in my church, I have felt so honored and blessed. I deeply feel a need for the prayers of the people I lead, just as I pray blessings over them. Are you praying over your leaders?

But a blessing like this could be said over anyone that you or I want to bless. Shift the focus--instead of reading the psalm as if it were being said to you, think about who in your life you could say or pray these words for. You could pray them in private or, for an even more powerful impact, you could write them to someone or pray them over them in their hearing. What about your parents? your children? your mate? a friend? someone who's struggling? Either way, it's intended to be used as a blessing for someone else.

God, thank you for reminding me of the powerful effect that a blessing I speak or write to someone can have. It's a pretty amazing reality to be able to impact someone's life that way! And not just on their life but mine too, for when I pray for blessing on my leaders they filter down to me, as well. Impress on my heart someone that needs a blessing right now. Amen!

Please share the message you feel this psalm has for your life right now. Comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Right on, Chris! People usually criticize and bring down others, especially leaders among us. Jesus told us to pray for our leaders, but our "party system" makes us usually prejudiced and prone to tear down if "my party" is not in power. Shame on us.
    It is true that to have someone pray such a blessing for me is amazing and powerful because prayer works. Sometimes we have a long time to wait to see the answers, but often they come in the most unexpected and amazing ways....a door opens from a most-unlikely location!
    God bless YOU as you give your life and energies to building us up in the Lord's way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! And may God grant you all the desires of your heart!

    ReplyDelete