Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What It Takes to Be Close to God

God is watching over you today, thinking of you. He wants to speak into your life and be your guide. Let's sit and listen from Psalm 15. It's just five short but meaty verses. Read through it out loud three times and let it simmer in your thoughts.

LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy hill? He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous... (v. 1-2)

This psalm is all about who gets the honor of being welcomed by God into his holy presence. Who gets to live with a constant sense of God's abiding nearness? It assumes that a covenant relationship with God has already been established. The question is whether the covenant is being kept. God is most present with people who keep his covenant and live noble lives.

I remember a friend of mine once saying that the reason he was Catholic was that he could do whatever he wanted--drink, cuss, sleep around. As long as he went to mass and occasionally stopped in for confession, he was good with God and still able to live it up. Not that Catholics have a monopoly on hypocritical religion. Plenty of Protestants play that game with God as well. The Jews were no exception either.

But this psalm is setting us straight that God doesn't fall for it. If you want to live in God's favor and have him near, there is only one way--keep the covenant of love and faithfulness that you've entered with him. Reflect his character. Live your faith. Be a person of integrity, morality, truthfulness and generosity.

It's not that we have to earn our way into his graces by our performance. It's that he's given us his grace and he wants our love. You just can't be close to God if you don't really love him. And if I really love him I will be the kind of person described in this psalm. Because I love God's holiness, I will live a holy life. Because I love God's truthfulness I will tell the truth. Because I love God's faithful dependability to keep his promises, I will be a person of my word, even when it hurts. I will keep my commitments. Because I love the way that God is for me and not against me, I'll want the best for the people around me, too, and treat them with goodwill.

God, there's nothing I desire or need more than your nearness, your love and holiness and kindness washing over me! I do love you and I am so thankful that as I live the right kind of life before you I feel that sense of friendship with you that gives me wings. You are amazing, God! Amen

What did you sense God impressing on you from this text? How does it speak into your life right now? Share your reflections below. Sign into your Google account (top right corner of page) or just choose Anonymous in the "Comment as" field. Thanks, and be blessed!

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you explained this. These are the questions I've heard a LOT of people ask, and I know I asked some similar questions when I was younger. "If a person sins does it mean he/she doesn't really love God?" "If I just ask forgiveness every time why can't I still do it?" "If works can't get us into Heaven, why do we have to live a certain way and not just have faith?" and so on and so on and so on.

    The way you explained it shows us that these things all go together. "If you love me, you will keep my commandments" is basically what it boils down to. Doesn't mean we're perfect and won't ever sin, but it means we'll have a desire not to!

    What it comes down to is that it makes no sense to "be a Christian" but still want to live as if you don't have God in your life. Once you truly get a glimpse of who He is, you wouldn't be able to do that!

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comment, Meredith! I agree completely!
    K.B.

    ReplyDelete