Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Teachable Hearts

Good evening all! I, Michele, am reading and focusing on Psalm 25 tonight. This is a favorite psalm of mine because it speaks of the character traits that I desire to portray.

Many of the psalms are about enemies and the havoc they raise in the writer's life. Sometimes our enemies seem to "take the upper hand" in life. Those with blatant disregard for God appear to get what they want......and that's just not fair! So it seems.

But I don't want to act like my enemies. I want to take the high road! Isn't that the example we want to set as Christians??

Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you. (v. 4-5)

David is seeking guidance in these verses because he wants to do what the Lord wants, not as his enemies did to him. We have to want to be guided by God. We need teachable hearts. The only way to accomplish this is through a committed relationship with God. Being in his Word and spending time w/ him are vital to softening our hearts so that we are able to be examples of his love for others.

He leads the humble in doing right, teaching them his way. (v. 9)

Humility will also come as we seek God's direction in our lives. I don't need to behave like my enemies because I know who I am in Christ! I know my depravity outside of God's will....I've been there many times before! I am no better then those who torment me....but, I have been saved and my enemies need to see the evidence of my faith and changed life.

Many integrity and honesty protect me, for I put my hope in you. (v. 21)

Lord, I want to walk in moral uprightness. I want to show your love to my enemies. They need you desperately! I also want to be a godly example to the younger ones in my life. We need to be an example for the next generation. I'm afraid they sometimes see more of the enemy's example in this world than a godly one. I want to have a teachable heart that desires your guidance. Mold me and shape me to be a reflection of who you are. Amen.

Please share your thoughts and how God has used this song to minister to your heart. We would love to hear from you!

3 comments:

  1. Such a outstanding psalm, this one! I really like the thoughts it expresses, and you brought out such good points--thank you! I think the statement that most spoke to me today was "My eyes are ever on the LORD, for only he will release my feet from the snare" (v. 15). I've got to keep my eyes on Jesus. All my hope is in him! No matter how high the obstacles, how uncertain the future, the character and power of God are clear and firm and dependable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written, Michele! Integrity and honesty are really a rare commodity in our world! The phrase "Dare to be different" comes to mind. Humility, integrity and honesty were demonstrated by Jesus. As we follow Him and try to be like Him we are given the Grace and wisdom we need to follow the right path through life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point, Chris! Our eyes do have to always be on Jesus- he is our source of life and the only one who can change the course of things in our life. Thank you for that reminder!

    Thank you both for your comments! I love to see how each psalm speaks differently to each of us.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete