Friday, January 20, 2012

The Best Teacher

As we head into the weekend, it's a great time to get a word from God. Reading from 1 Samuel chapter 8, it's got me thinking about the importance of choices. My life is largely the sum total of my choices. Speaking of that, it would be a great choice to read the chapter yourself and ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you through it!

One thing that I love about you, God, is that you give us the awesome gift of freedom. Because you love us you allow us to choose. And as we make choices, we become participants with you in shaping the future! As I read this, I see you allowing your covenant people Israel to make their choice to appoint a king. You knew that a human king was not exactly in their best interest. After all, you were their King. And you alone know how to wield that level of power with complete integrity, justness and wisdom. And you warned your people where the path they wanted to take would lead. Yet you still allowed them to make their choice, even when they refused to listen and chose poorly. I love that about you, God.

I've got choices to make myself. I'm so thankful to have the freedom to choose! Yet I realize that I don't have the freedom to choose the consequences of my choices. As soon as I make a choice I become accountable for its repercussions. The statement that really sticks out to me as I contemplate this text is this:

When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, and the LORD will not answer you in that day. (v. 18)

Come to think of it, I can recall too many occasions on which I have begged for relief from the consequences of my own choices. It's funny how certain things, relationships, experiences that we want so badly can turn so nightmarish once attained. The verse of Scripture above sounds a little harsh, but what God is saying is simply that he will let us choose and he will also let us learn from the effects of our choices. It's not that God won't ever step in and help turn things back around for us, but it's generally not "in that day" that we first realize what a mistake we've made. God clearly knows the educational value of natural consequences. By experience, so do I.

As a dad, in spite of my protective instincts, I don't want to be in the habit of always jumping in and saving my kids from the natural consequences of their choices. They will learn a lot more from their mistakes than my lectures. And better that they learn that choices have consequences while they're young and the consequences aren't so severe and long-term as they will become in adulthood. As long as they aren't putting themselves or others in danger, there's nothing like the sting of their own mistakes to teach them not to repeat them. God, please give me, my kids and all of us wisdom to make the best choices!

I hope you are blessed by this post! If so, please share it on Facebook by clicking the "f" button below. And your comments are always welcome! Choose "Anonymous" from the "Comment as" field if you don't want to sign in and comment by name. Peace.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, natural consequences are great! As parents, we also need to set consequences when our children are disobedient and allow our kids to suffer them without coming in and letting up on them. When they know that consequences will be set and followed through with, they will be less likely to repeat the offense.

    Lord, help me to be wise in the consequences I set and be firm in my follow through. I know this can be hard when children lay on the guilt and sadness. Help me as a mother to love my child enough to make his consequences matter. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post. Thank you also for clearing up the Ebenezer discussion the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing from you guys! Be amazing today!

    ReplyDelete