Monday, January 23, 2012

Upgrade Your Life Mission

Listening to God through narrative portions of Scripture requires some different skills than other genres of literature. But I always find so much there framed in the context of somebody's real life. Our conversation continues in 1 Samuel chapter 9. Let's take it in and see what God may show us!

When I think about what I'm going to accomplish with my life, what big projects I may take on, the impact I'm going to have on my world, I sometimes feel pretty small and insignificant. What can I do? And considering where I am and the small things I'm involved in presently, doing something big and having a significant impact can seem pretty out of reach.

As I read this text, I am guessing that young Saul might have felt the same way. His dad has sent him out of the house to go look for the family's missing donkeys with a few of the servants. Some important assignment, huh? So Saul is out there wandering all over the countryside for several days on this dusty excursion. Was this all there was for him to do in life? Was he ever going to get to do something really important, or was he always going to be stuck with the mules?

But by God's purpose and design, Saul's unremarkable quest takes him to a town where Samuel the prophet/priest/judge happens to be making a special appearance. And the text explains:

Now the day before Saul came, the LORD had revealed this to Samuel: "About this time tomorrow I will send you a man from the land of Benjamin. Anoint him leader over my people Israel; he will deliver my people form the hand of the Philistines.... When Samuel caught sight of Saul, the LORD said to him, "This is the man I spoke to you about; he will govern my people." (v. 15-17)

How's that for an upgraded life-assignment? It goes to show, you never know what God might have in mind for you to do in the future! And he knows right where to find you and me when the timing is right. He found Saul out there in the middle of nowhere chasing runaway donkeys!

...Which leads me to the question: What if Saul had thought himself above searching for his dad's wandering livestock and refused? He might have missed out on the surprising appointment God had for him. That's a good reminder to me: Keep fulfilling whatever responsibilities you have now. Be faithful in the unremarkable things and God may choose to promote you to something more challenging and fulfilling later (See what Jesus said in Luke 19:17.)

God, I will trust you with my future. I want my life to mean something more than just keeping comfortable. I want to do great things for you! Thank you for reminding me not to overlook the small things. Amen.

I hope you've been encouraged by this post. If so, encourage someone else by sharing this post on Facebook! (Click the "f" icon below.) Thanks so much for your feedback! To comment, sign in first at the top right of the page, or choose "Anonymous" from the "Comment as" field menu. God's peace to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment