Thursday, January 5, 2012

Large and In Charge

As 2012 nears the end of its first week, I wish you all of God's favor and blessing! What are your hopes and dreams for this coming year? Is there something that you're eagerly awaiting like Michele described in yesterday's excellent posting? Or do you feel like you're more or less treading water into 2012, just trying to survive? I hope that the new year is more to you than just flipping a page on the calendar. Opportunity is waiting in the wings. What are we going to make of this year? What does God want to do with us?

Let's listen for his voice for guidance or inspiration or encouragement or even correction, whatever it may be that we're needing most to align ourselves for his blessing in this year. Read with me from 1 Samuel 1:19 through 2:10. Let every phrase of Hannah's prayer resonate in your heart.

The first thing in this passage that jumps out at me is 1:27:

I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him.

It catches my attention because it is the caption beneath a picture of our first baby, Lori. It so perfectly expressed our own experience of waiting on God and experiencing his amazing touch (see yesterday's post and the comment afterwards). We knew what we wanted. And we learned to truly trust God for it. As I'm heading into this year, I know what I generally want and need, but I don't have a clear vision yet. I am asking you, God, to help me know what precisely to go after that will please you. Then I will trust you to bring it about.

The foundations of the earth are the LORD'S;
upon them he has set the world.
He will guard the feet of his saints,
but the wicked will be silenced in darkness. (v. 8-9)

God is reminding me of his sovereign rule over his world. Washington's not in charge. The banks aren't in control. Big Money isn't even running the world. God is. Isn't that a hopeful reality? And the preceding verses emphasize how that God brings turnarounds in people's lives. He is the one who reverses people's fortunes as he wills. Personally, I'm needing a job--more than that, a calling--and he owns every company and directs every church. He's encouraging me to trust his ability to provide just what I need and to stay faithful and loyal to him. Whatever you're needing, he's large and in charge.

God tells me he is guarding my path, and yours. I don't take a single step without him. I can be confident. But it's not the kind of cocky self-confidence that people who don't know God have. It's a confidence in who God is and what he can do for me, in me and through me for his glory.

God, please let your favor rest on me and my family and on all who love you. I trust you with me.

1 comment:

  1. He IS large and in charge. Even when things are painful and we feel we need to do something to change the situation....He is in control, not me!!

    Thank you, Chris, for the encouragement! I am always blessed by your posts!

    ReplyDelete