Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Speak, Your Servant is Listening"

Happy Tuesday evening to all of you and thank you for being here with me. This is Michele and I'm excited to study the 3rd chapter of 1 Samuel with you this evening. It's a very short chapter and is one that I read more than once in order to hear what I think God is really trying to get across to me.

First of all, I find it to be pretty awesome that God chose to speak to Samuel audibly. I can't imagine what he must have been thinking when he actually heard the sound of God's voice! Was he scared? Was he in awe? Was he in disbelief? At first he didn't realize it was God.

"Suddenly, the LORD called out, "Samuel."
"Yes", Samuel replied. "What is it?" He got up and ran to Eli. "Here I am. Did you call me?"
"I didn't call you," Eli replied. "Go back to bed." So he did. (v. 4-5)

Then it happened again and Samuel did the exact same thing. He really thought it was Eli calling out to him. Then again. Eli realized the third time that it was you who wanted Samuel's attention. So Eli instructed Samuel as to how he should respond the next time.

...."Speak, LORD, your servant is listening." (v. 9)

And this is what God revealed to Samuel:

"I am going to carry out all my threats against Eli and his family, from beginning to end. I have warned him that judgment is coming upon his family forever, because his sons are blaspheming God and he hasn't disciplined them. So I have vowed that the sins of Eli and his sons will never be forgiven by sacrifices or offerings." (v. 12-14)

Oh, to audibly hear you speak to us is what we truly need right now. You know the trials we all face, the hard decisions that need to be made, the consequences that come with each potential decision. You know, Lord! Just as you disclosed your future plans for Eli to Samuel, we need you to show us what the future holds for ourselves and for the ones we love. If we choose this way, such and such may happen. But, if we choose another way then a different set of things may happen. Life can be so confusing!

I know for myself, there have been many times when I thought I heard you speaking to me but wasn't sure if it was really you (much like Samuel). Was it the voice of another person lingering in my head from an earlier conversation? Was I deceived by my own desires and thought I heard you confer? Help me to really hear what you have to say to me just like Samuel ultimately did. Give me the ability to be still long enough to hear from you. Guide me, Lord, because my desire is to do what honors you in my life and in the lives of those who I am responsible for. Help me to not neglect the ones who are most important to me like Eli did. Help me to make every decision based on your guidance and rule in my life. Silence the voice of the evil one and allow me to hear only from you. Amen.

...."Speak, your servant is listening." (v. 10)

Can you relate? Do you have the same struggle when you try to listen for God's voice? Please share if you do. I know I will be blessed with your comments! God bless you all!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely, so many times I have longed for God to just tell me what to do. In my experience, he generally chooses to more subtly guide my decision-making instead. Perhaps he wants us to trust the wisdom from above that he has given us. Remember his promise in James 1:5 (and 3:17). It's pretty comforting to know that God is able to work with our choices, good and bad, to ultimately bring about his good purposes. I bank on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . . Another thing that caught my attention is what's said in the first verse of this account of Samuel's late-night epiphany: "In those days the word of the LORD was rare; there were not many visions." In other words, what Samuel got was not the norm. It seems to me like we're living in similar times. Maybe our culture has become so naturalistic and humanistic in our thinking that God is letting us see how we do figuring things out on our own? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete