Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Good Luck Charm

Welcome! I hope your day is going well! It's playoffs time in the NFL and nobody is getting more attention than Tim Tebow. I like the guy. But does God help him win football games? And if so, will talking about God help a carpet cleaner with their career success? As we come for a conversation with God, I'm echoing what Samuel said in the text from yesterday's post: "Speak, Lord, your servant is listening." That's my prayer as I read today the 4th chapter of 1 Samuel.

...the elders of Israel asked, "Why did the LORD bring defeat upon us today before the Philistines? Let us bring the ark of the LORD's covenant from Shiloh, so that it may go with us and save us from the hand of our enemies." (v. 3)

Okay, I'm following their line of reasoning: We got our backsides kicked in battle. God didn't fight for us. Let's go bring the center of our religion, the sacred box that represents the very presence of God, and use it as our secret weapon! (Are you having flashbacks to Raiders of the Lost Ark?) But I'm wondering, did they seek God's guidance on this whole objective first? Was he really their God? Because it sounds like they were the ones calling the shots. God apparently thought so too:

. . . The slaughter was very great; Israel lost thirty thousand foot soldiers. The ark of God was captured, and Eli's two sons, Hophni and Phinehas, died. (v. 10-11)

Hophni and Phinehas were corrupt priests (chp. 2). God, I think I hear you saying that you don't intend to be used as a good luck charm by people who don't really submit their lives and plans to you. I can think of a time or two that I've charged in impulsively, expecting you to give me victory, and come away defeated. I remember a coworker of mine long ago who said that she felt better about having immoral sex with her boyfriend because they had started praying together before they did it. I'm pretty sure you weren't overly impressed or motivated by those prayers to give your blessing. And just because a religious group or a political party or even an athlete or a businessperson likes to wave the God flag a lot, I realize that all of that is meaningless and even offensive to you if the people doing it don't really have their hearts and agendas in line with yours.

I don't know if God is helping Tebow on the field. Maybe he does. But if so, it's likely because Tim is really a man whose life is surrendered to God and who wants to serve his greater purposes.

Lord, I agree that we're all a lot better off when we make it our goal to be used by you for your purposes rather than using you for our purposes. Forgive me for any times I may have done that. May my life and attitude always show that I am your servant rather than thinking that you are mine. Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Very true! This is something that I've been trying to get through to my teenage son. He feels that because he doesn't have everything he wants, God isn't here for him. Valuable lesson for all of us to learn!

    ReplyDelete