Tuesday, January 17, 2012

We Can't Fool God

Good morning! Are you ready to hear a word from God on this Tuesday? We are now in the 6th chapter of 1 Samuel. The story continues with the Phillistines trying to send the Ark of the Lord back to its own country. Read through this chapter and see what you hear God saying to you. This is Michele writing for you today. I am thrilled to be with you and share what I feel God is saying to my heart.

Then the Phillistines called in their priests and diviners and asked them, What should be do about the Ark of the Lord? Tell us how to return it to its own country."
"Send the Ark of the God of Isreal back with a gift, " they were told. "Send a guilt offering so the plague will stop. Then, if you are healed, you will know it was his hand that caused the plague."
"What sort of guilt offering should we send?" they asked.
And they were told, "Since the plague has struck both you and your five rulers, make five gold tumors and five gold rats, just like those that have ravaged your land. Make these things to show honor to the God of Isreal. Perhaps then he will stop afflicting you, your gods, and your land." 
(v. 2-5)

It seems as if guilt was driving this action. The Phillistines were feeling badly because they had captured the Ark and now wanted to take it back to where it belonged. Did the Phillistines really want to do what was right and return the Ark or did they have a different motive? It seems that everywhere the Ark was, disaster struck. Hmmm. Sounds like they were trying to protect themselves. Were they truly sorry for what they'd done or were they just trying to placate you, God? Trying to calm your anger against them so they wouldn't be punished for what they'd done? There have been times in my life when I've done something wrong and then tried to make it better by doing something extra for the person I've wronged. Many times because I'm genuinely sorry, but sometimes maybe not. I'm pretty sure we all have. So, the diviners thought that sending the Ark back with a gift might make you less angry, God.

But why rats and tumors? Are those the things that your law requires as guilt offerings? Not hardly! Again, the Phillistines were not giving you the honor that you deserve. They were not approaching you with reverence, they were making up their own ways to "pacify" you. I know I've been guilty, too, of coming to you flippantly and not giving you the respect and honor you deserve and demand. Sometimes, we only give you a portion of our worship and we lift up other things or people more than we do you.

Lord, I want to give you all of me.....my best. I want to approach you with reverence and honor. You are my savior, my rock and my fortress. Help me to remember all you've done for me and know that there's no life outside of you. I don't want to come into your presence frivolously. I pray this not only for myself, Lord, but for all of us who know and love you. Keep our minds focused on you and fill us with your Spirit as we go into this world and love with your love. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Very thought-provoking and good application, Michele! You really brought it home for us. When I was a kid and got in trouble, I was quick with an apology. My dad would often ask me, "Are you sorry for what you did, or are you just sorry you got caught?" Well...let me think. Probably some of both. I think the central statement of the chapter might be this one: "Who can stand in the presence of the LORD, this holy God?" (v. 20). And the answer is no one . . . except those he invites near and forgives through faith in his son, Jesus.

    ReplyDelete