Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Waiting on God

Happy New Year to you all! I hope this year brings lots of blessings and a new hope to your life. I, Michele, am happy to be with you tonight. We will begin our reading in 1 Samuel. Please take the time to read verses 1-18. I'm excited to dive into this portion of scripture to see what God has to say to me...and to you!

There is so much to take from these first 18 verses, but what I hear you saying most, God, is this:

Elkanah had two wives, Hannah and Peninnah. Peninnah had children, but Hannah did not. Year after year it was the same - Peniannah would taunt Hannah as they went to the Tabernacle. Each time, Hannah would be reduced to tears and would not even eat.  Hannah was in deep anguish, crying bitterly as she prayed to the Lord....if you will look upon my sorrow and answer my prayer and give me a son.... (v. 2, 7, 10, 11)

Everyone in your creation has something that they are waiting for, something that they feel would complete their lives or at least make them feel like a person with purpose. Whether it's a child, a spouse, or maybe a cure from a disease. A dream and a prayer that they've lifted up to you over and over again and continue to wait for you to deliver. It's so hard to face each new day when there is something so significant missing from our lives. We see others who have what it is we are missing and they seem to take it for granted. There are people in this world who aren't compassionate to the yearnings of others and sometimes taunt those who have to go without, paying no care to the anguish that's being suffered. Others can be so cruel at times.

When I read this passage, Lord, I can't help but think of my own life. I know I've lifted the same prayer up to you year after year and have many times wondered if you were listening to me as I desperately cried out to you. I've wondered if you'll ever answer or if you'd forgotten me. Do you care at all? I know I'm not alone. I've heard the same story over and over again. Different situation, but same plea for an answer.

So, this is how this portion of scripture ends:

....Then she went back and began to eat again, and she was no longer sad. (v. 18)

As we plead to you, there is a sense of peace. Not always, but for the most part I truly knew that you heard me and would grant my prayer someday. I always told myself that I would rather go without what I want than to have what I want without your blessing. Waiting on the you, Lord, really does pay off!

And so I waited......and you answered my prayer in the most perfect way! Thank you, Lord!

Please, share your story about how God has answered your prayers. Or, share the struggles you've had as you wait. We would love to hear from you!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is so relevant to real life, isn't it? Your application is right on the money. My wife and I tried unsucessfully for two years to have a baby. We wanted children so badly, just like Hannah. We begged God and pleaded and even eventually tried to help him out by using fertility medication. Still nothing. Finally, we decided to let go of our will and just leave it to God, whether he wanted to give us kids or not. A couple of months after that, my wife was pregnant! And God ended up giving us not one but two wonderful children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More recently, I am so happy and honored to be the answer to your prayers, Michele! And you are an amazing gift from God in response to many prayers of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful for you, Chris, and am equally honored to be the answer to your prayers. God is so good and faithful!

    ReplyDelete