Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My Ebenezer

When I face the future with all of its uncertainty, I need to remember who has brought me this far. That's the word I'm hearing from God today. I bet you could use his encouragement, too! Read with me 1 Samuel chapter 7 (it's only 17 verses). Before you read, ask God to impress on your heart what he wants to communicate to you in this moment through this account of his actions in the past.

So here we have a brief but striking account of a great national victory that God gave to Israel over an enemy that had been oppressing and threatening them for well over twenty years. God used the natural forces of the weather to cause panic in the enemy ranks and precipitate a rout.

Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen [two Israelite towns]. He named it Ebenezer, saying, "Thus far has the LORD helped us." (v. 12)

Right now, there's an old hymn going through my mind:

Here I raise my Ebenezer
Hither by thy help I've come
And I hope by thy good pleasure
Safely to arrive at home

Not long ago, we sang that hymn at a church where we've been attending. I couldn't help but wonder what percentage of the thousands who were there had any idea who Ebenezer even was (Scrooge?), much less why they were singing about picking him up! But this text is obviously where that line comes from. The Israelites consistently set up a stone or a pile of stones in places where they had experienced God's presence or deliverance. They did that as a reminder both to them and to the generations that would follow. Hmm. Not a bad idea.

Ebenezer was the name Samuel gave to this monument, meaning "stone of help." He explains that it stands as a symbol of the fact that, up to this point, God had been been with them and helped them mightily as they faced the threats and challenges before them. The implication, of course, was that they must not forget that God was willing and able to help them as they moved ahead into the future.

I have a stone the size of a small bag of flour sitting on a shelf in my office with this simple inscription written on it: Mission to Ukraine 1999. It's a reminder to me of a harrowing experience I had being arrested, interrogated and threatened at the border of Ukraine in the middle of the night as I was traveling in by train. Actually, it sits there as a testimony to remind me of how God delivered me out of one of the scariest moments of my life. I don't want to forget how he gave me courage and a supernatural peace to stand my ground, not to mention the sweet feeling of freedom when I walked out of there victorious.

God, as I step into an uncertain future full of major changes, I remember that it is you who has brought me safely this far in my life. You have been there to help me through every challenge and crisis of the past. Let me never forget each amazing experience of your deliverance. You have proven yourself faithful and powerful to provide what I needed even when times were the worst. You are my God and my help. I don't need to fear the future. Lead on. Amen.

Help others find courage and peace in God by sharing this post on Facebook. It's so quick and easy--just click the "f" button below. And share your own insights and comments below as you reflect on what God is saying to you. (Sign in first at the top right or choose "Anonymous" from the Comment As menu.) Peace.

7 comments:

  1. Chris what is the significance of water in this passage? Verse 6. I think what I get from this is sometimes you have to wait what seems like forever 20 yrs before you get an answer or movement. Sometimes that is hard to do because your faith can faulter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! The water was used for a purification ritual, symbolic of washing away the sin and guilt from the people--similar to baptism for us. It is true that we often have to wait and that waiting is difficult. In Israel's case, and sometimes ours, their 20 year wait appears to be not so much them waiting on God but God waiting on them to turn their hearts back to him.

      Delete
  2. That's a great story about your mission trip.

    I don't see what's productive about making fun of people who don't know what an Ebenezer is by saying, "I would have loved to see a show of hands." If you don't like the fact that so many people in a megachurch might not have been taught these things, then you don't have to go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I'm afraid you took me wrong, however. I wasn't intending to make fun of the people for not knowing what an Ebenezer is. I think it's probably not helpful for us to sing songs that contain obscure lyrics that hardly anyone understands unless we explain them first.

      Delete
  3. As life becomes ever so challenging and things the future is so uncertain, it brings my heart peace to remember the times along my journey when God has helped me. There have been many times in life when I've felt very helpless and God has always come through, even if things didn't turn out the way I wished they would have. True peace comes when I remember that my help comes from the Lord, he is my fortress and my stronghold!

    Thank you, Chris, for sharing your reminder with us. I hope that you are always reminded of God's protection when you look at that stone. I also hope that this will be an encouragement to you as you move forward into this new chapter in your life. God is with you now just as he was when you were in the Ukraine. He will not forsake you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe that, Michele. Thank you so much! And he is with you as well. Now, and always.

      Delete
  4. Yes Chris, I agree with your thinking on understanding the songs we sing. Some of those we often sang have words and phrases we did not understand. It is always so helpful if someone will first explain what they mean, then we can sing with the Spirit and understanding. Sometimes we just forget that others may not understand and need explanation? I also know that you would not willingly ridicule others who are worshiping the best they know how. It is good that this discussion came up! Stimulates our thinking. May God give us all humility and the desire to learn more as we go along.

    ReplyDelete