Friday, January 13, 2012

Toppling My Idols

It's a gorgeous day outside here! And it's Friday, so I hope you're ready for a great weekend! I love reading the accounts of how God interacted with people of the past. It helps me see a more complete picture of who he really is. So I hope you're enjoying this conversation with God through the text of 1 Samuel. Today, I invite you to read the twelve verses of chapter five with me as we continue the saga. Read it through at least a couple of times and ask God to show you what he wants you to understand about him.

The ark of the covenant that represented God's very presence had been stolen from Israel in a battle. Their enemy triumphantly placed it in the temple of their pagan god, Dagon. I love this story:

When the people of Ashdod arose early the next day, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the LORD! They took Dagon and put him back in his place. But the following morning when they rose, there was Dagon, fallen on his face on the ground before the ark of the LORD!... (v. 3-4)

God had already proven that he would not be manipulated by his own people, and now he was showing this pagan nation that he wasn't their play thing either. They thought their own god was superior to Israel's.

This story can sound so out of touch with our own reality, but God is telling me that it's timeless. They weren't the only ones who ever had an idol that they thought superior to God. And they weren't the first or the last to stick God over in a corner in the shadow of their idol in the place where they worshipped it. God is impressing on me that our idols today are just as real, though they have a new, updated look. And we worship them, adore them and give them our devotion in the fully transportable temple of our hearts.

God, there is nothing that compares to you! All of the idols in my heart that I imagine are more important to my well-being and my enjoyment of life belong on their faces before you.

There's something ironically symbolic about this detail of Dagon's fall:

His head and hands had been broken off.... (v. 4)

I think that was God's way of saying, "Your idol is no god at all. It's headless and hand-less. It neither thinks of you nor knows anything, much less what is best for you. And it can't do anything to reach out a hand to you when you need it."

What a contrast to God, our Creator and Father! Four times in this short account, the text mentions "the LORD's hand" and the mighty ways that he displayed his power as he acted in people's lives and in a nation's history (v. 6, 7, 9, 11). God's hand can be heavy on people who fight against his good purposes for his world. But his hand is protective and providing and guiding and comforting to those who love and trust him. I hope that you do.

Lord, I put you at the top spot in my heart. Nothing will ever take your place there. You will never be a shadow dweller in my life. I'm so thankful that your mighty hand is lovingly upon me and that no one and nothing can snatch me away from you! Amen.

Wouldn't someone you know be blessed by this reminder, too? Please share this post on Facebook by clicking the Facebook button ("f") below. As always, your thoughts and comments are welcomed! Choose "Anonymous" from the "Comment As" menu or sign in above before commenting. Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Our church congregation studied this same passage recently. But I like your explanation of the symbolism of the head and hands breaking off and how God uses his hands to correct and protect his people. Great post.

    ReplyDelete